Audi Q5 Controls Driving Electro-mechanical parking brake
Applies to vehicles: with Audi hold assist
Audi hold assist helps the driver when the vehicle is stationary and automatically prevents the vehicle from rolling away when driving off.
When the Audi hold assist function is on, the vehicle is automatically prevented from rolling away and you no longer have to keep your foot on the brake pedal.
Conditions for switching on Audi hold assist
The driver's door must be closed.
The driver's seat belt must be buckled.
The engine must be running.
Switching on Audi hold assist
Press button -B- Fig. 1 in the centre console to switch on the Audi hold assist function. The indicator lamp in the switch will light up.
Switching off Audi hold assist
Press button -B- Fig. 1 to switch off the Audi hold assist function. The indicator lamp in the switch will go out.
If you press button -B- while the vehicle is being held by the Audi hold assist function, the electro-mechanical parking brake will automatically take over. The parking brake will not take over if the foot brake is applied simultaneously.
Audi hold assist is switched off automatically if you open the driver's door, unbuckle the seat belt or switch off the engine. If this happens when the green indicator lamp is lit in the instrument cluster, the parking brake will be applied automatically to ensure that the vehicle is parked safely.
Audi hold assist helps the driver to keep the vehicle stationary while the engine is running, for instance on steep gradients, at traffic lights or in stop-and-go traffic. When the Audi hold assist function is on, you don't have to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the vehicle from accidentally rolling away. Once it detects that the vehicle is stopped, Audi hold assist keeps the vehicle stationary. The green lamp in the instrument cluster indicates that the function is activated and fully functional. You can now take your foot off the brake pedal.
As soon as you drive off in the normal way, the parking brake will automatically be released and the vehicle will start moving.
If the conditions for Audi hold assist change and the function is switched off as a result, the parking brake will be applied automatically to ensure that the vehicle is parked safely. The diode in the button will go out when the Audi hold assist function is switched off.
The intelligent technology in Audi hold assist cannot defy the laws of physics. Do not let the extra convenience provided by Audi hold assist tempt you into taking a safety risk.
- Audi hold assist cannot keep the vehicle stationary in all conditions on a gradient (e.g. if the road is slippery or icy).
- Audi hold assist must be switched on again each time the engine is started - Risk of accident!
- Never get out of the vehicle when the engine is running and Audi hold assist is switched on - Risk of accident!
- Always ensure that the vehicle is stopped properly and safely to avoid injury to yourself and others.
Switch off the Audi hold assist function before driving the vehicle into a car wash.
- Audi hold assist can be switched on only when the driver's door is closed, the driver's seat belt is buckled and the engine is running.
- Audi hold assist prevents automatic vehicles from creeping forwards when the brake pedal is released with the car in gear.
- When the vehicle has been stationary for an extended period, Audi hold assist will automatically apply the parking brake. In this case, the green indicator lamp in the instrument cluster display will change to red .