Audi RS Q3 Controls Automatic gearbox S tronic
The current selector lever position and the current gear are shown in the instrument cluster displayFig. 1.
Switch on the ignition.
You may have to release the selector lever Link, depending on which position is currently engaged and which position you want to select next.
Move the selector lever to the desired position. The current position is indicated on the selector gate.
Selector lever lock
The selector lever lock prevents gears from being engaged inadvertently, so that the vehicle is not set in motion unintentionally. This is why you have to press the button on the selector lever Fig. 2 and/or press the brake pedal when moving the selector lever into certain positions.
You have to press the brake pedal before moving the selector lever when the engine is running and the vehicle is stationary. The selector lever positions in which the button on the selector lever has to be pressed are highlighted in colour in the illustration Fig. 2.
The selector lever is not locked if you move the selector from D to reverse R quickly. This allows you to rock the car backwards and forwards to it free it from mud or snow, for example. The selector lever lock engages automatically if the brake pedal is not depressed and the selector lever is in position N for longer than about two seconds.
If the selector lever does not lock automatically, a malfunction has occurred. In this case, the power transmission is interrupted to prevent the vehicle from moving unintentionally. Press the brake pedal and move the selector lever to position P or N to lock the selector lever again. You can now move the selector lever into another position.
Safety interlock for ignition key*
The key can only be withdrawn from the ignition lock with the ignition switched off and the selector lever in position P. When the ignition key is removed, the selector lever is locked in position P.
P – Parking lock
When the selector lever is in this position, the driven wheels are locked. Apply the parking lock only when the vehicle is stationary WARNING!. To apply the parking lock, press the button on the selector lever and move the selector lever to position P.
The parking lock can be released only when the engine is running and the brake pedal is pressed. Press the button on the selector lever to release the parking lock and select the desired position.
R – Reverse gear
Reverse gear is engaged in this position. Select reverse gear only when the vehicle is stationary and the engine is idling WARNING!. To engage reverse gear, press the button on the selector lever, press the brake pedal and move the selector lever to position R.
The reversing light is lit when the engine is running and the selector lever is in position R.
N – Neutral
In this position, the gearbox is in neutral. To select neutral, press the button on the selector lever and move the selector lever to position N.
D/S – Drive/Sport (standard position for driving forwards)
In selector lever position D/S, the gearbox can be operated in either the standard drive mode (D) or in sport mode (S). The selected driving mode is shown in the instrument cluster display.
In the standard drive mode (D), the gearbox automatically selects the best gear ratio. This depends on the engine load, the road speed and the driving style.
Select sport mode (S) if you wish to take full advantage of the car's performance. This setting makes use of the engine's maximum power output. When accelerating the gear shifts may be noticeable.
Press the brake pedal when moving the selector lever from N to D/S if the vehicle is stationary or at speeds below 2 km/h WARNING!.
- The car can roll away even if the ignition is switched off.
- In all selector lever positions except P the vehicle must always be held with the foot brake when the engine is running. This is because an automatic gearbox still transmits power even at idling speed, and the vehicle tends to "creep".
- The accelerator pedal must on no account be pressed inadvertently when the vehicle is stationary. The vehicle could otherwise start moving immediately (in some cases even if the parking brake is engaged) and possibly cause an accident.
- Do not press the accelerator before selecting a gear with the vehicle stationary and the engine running, as this could cause an accident.
- The driver should never get out of the vehicle when the engine is running and a gear is engaged. If you have to leave your vehicle while the engine is running, you must apply the parking brake and engage the parking lock P.
- Never move the selector lever to R or P when driving at normal speeds, as this could cause an accident.
- To avoid accidents, apply the parking brake and put the selector lever in position P before opening the bonnet. Please observe the important safety warnings Link.
- If the lever is moved accidentally to N when driving, take your foot off the accelerator pedal and let the engine speed drop to idling before selecting D or S again.
- It is not possible to move the selector lever out of position P if the electrical power supply fails. In this case, the selector lever can be released manually Link.